Friday, October 3, 2008

Woggy Project #1: BC Trip Scrapbook

I like to make scrapbooks or memory boxes to commemorate enjoyable trips I've been on, or occasionally meaningful events, etc. My ambition to create these far exceeds my ability to actually make them with any regularity. So far I've been able to see about one of these projects through per year, which seems like a pretty good rate to me. I only have a couple of these waiting in the wings.

The scrapbook currently voted most likely to succeed is the one from my most recent trip to Vancouver Island and northern British Columbia (BC). My husband and I spent a good amount of time preparing for this trip, and it was a really pleasant adventure, complete with a road trip, a nautical voyage, camping, museums, glowsticks, bears, and whale sightings. It is definitely a trip I would like to commemorate for later years to come.

The photo above is a picture of the array of items I have set aside in a little bag for later insertion into a scrapbook. In addition to these items, we have photos, which I have thus far succeeded in uploading and filing with proper name on to my hard drive, but have yet to sort, select and get printed. In addition, I need some sort of a book to put all of these in.

The book is the biggest obstacle here, as I tend to be quite choosy about aesthetics, since I know this is going to be preserved for the future and I want to make sure it will be just right. I've discovered these expandable photo albums I can sometimes find, which are alot like the sort of book-cover system you use for stamp collecting, but I have not yet found a consistent supply for these. But I really don't want an actual photo album, I want something I can bind paper pages into, so I can create some actual pages with all of my various-sized mementos, and possibly include some journal pages. The last time I had this problem, I solved it by making and binding my own book using a souvenir paper bag, some souvenir fabric, a sewing machine, a hole punch, and some twine. Since my collection of things this time around is much larger, I hope to find something pre-made to do the job. I haven't started looking yet.

Things left to complete this woggy project:
  • Select photos for printing
  • Get photos printed
  • look for a suitable book/binding system
  • buy book/binding system
  • plan scrapbook layout
  • create any needed text or other related content
  • paste up/ assemble scrapbook

4 comments:

Kelly said...

hey there! have you considered only a small photo album and items put together in box? i like the box thing because you can fiddle with the items easily in the future. plus it's so easy. i know, you mentioned the box idea, but im re-mentioning it...because i love making things easy!

Kelly said...

im back again, with MORE UNDESIRED ADVICE! there is a website "exposures.com" that you might look at. they have lots of storage thingies, different sized boxes in a ton of different colors. what if you started a collection of different colored boxes for your trips. they would stack together nicely and look tidy, PLUS would be easy way to store these items. (am i being annoying? i do it out of love!)

happypippi said...

Well, I do sometimes do boxes. That is a good solution too, but in the end I found that method to be only slightly less effort, because I always then feel the need to decorate the boxes. Also, this one just feels like it should be a book for some reason. I'm picturing something sort of looking like a ship's log or something.

Kelly said...

ship's log - that's a cool idea!