Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Woggy Project #4: Crushed Velvet Shirt

Like every good crafty person worth their salt, I have a dazzling array of what is known in the crafting community as UFOs, or UnFinished Objects. These come in several flavors, but today I present you with an old favorite UFO, my fabulous crushed purple velvet shirt.

As the creative among you can tell from the pattern package and the fab fabric, this is going to be one fabulous shirt. And every fall, when I go through my wardrobe to out with the old and in with the new, I think of my velvet UFO and pull it out again with renewed hope that this year, I will actually finish it, and in time to actually wear it suitably for the weather!

So far, I have cut all the pieces, marked them, and removed the pattern tissue and pins. I have reviewed the pattern instructions thoroughly, but have not yet begun pinning anything together for sewing. Several of these already accomplished items may have had a year pass between each of these being done. This year, I have a good feeling, may be the actual year I will complete this shirt!

Despite the "Simplicity" on the pattern envelope, this shirt is complicated, to be sure, due to the stretchy fabric and tailored fit. However, it isn't anything I can't handle, as I've actually sewn formal dresses before. But it has been a while, and it will take me a while to remember how to do all that crazy armhole stuff (the fitting of which might actually be made easier if I actually accomplished Woggy Project #3...)

But basically, what I need here is a block of uninterrupted time and a clear work surface. The first one I could probably swing but the second would require first clearing my work surface, which also would require some uninterrupted time....

Things left to complete this woggy project:
  • set aside an evening or an afternoon for work
  • clear work table, or create household discord by using dining room table as work table
  • begin pinning pieces
  • Find my purple thread, and load a bobbin
  • sew next batch of pieces
  • puzzle over next batch of instructions
  • repeat above steps as needed until complete
  • adjust fit
  • admire self in fabulous new shirt

No comments: